The Gourds Live at Albino Skunk Festival on 2009-10-17
d1t02 Lower 48
d1t03 Take Me Back to Tulsa
d1t04 Bean Bowl
d1t05 Blanket Show
d1t06 My Name is John Johanna
d1t07 How Great Thou Art>Hallelujah Shine
d1t08 Pine Island Bayou
d1t09 Gravity Talks
d1t10 Mister Betty
d1t12 Burn the Honeysuckle
d1t13 Ants on the Melon
d1t14 I Like Drinking
d1t15 Waxie's Dargle (Pogues)
d2t01 Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother
d2t02 "Sunshine up yours" banter
d2t03 Feelin' on Yo Booty
d2t04 "Consummation Station" banter
d2t05 Right in the Head
d2t06 Shamrock Bound
d2t07 Nitty Gritty
d2t08 Flavor on yer Tung>Hang Fire
d2t09 "Procol Nolte Harum Syndrome" banter
d2t10 Gin and Juice
d2t11 Oh Sister **
d2t12 All the Labor **
d2t13 Soundcheck ("Frosty the Snowman", "Crazy Train", et al)
(ended the Festival, early set is posted here: http://www.archive.org/details/gds2009-10-17._early_flac16)
**soundboard was turned off after "Gin and Juice".
**Source is Ed Martz's Zoom H2 mics (320kps/48>Sound Forge (edits, compression on screams/yelling, converted/dither'd to 16 bit WAV)>FLAC Frontend (align, verify, 5, tagged)
Mo' Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsoulmark/AlbinoSkunkFestival2009Day2#
Subject: Cajun-flavored hoedown rock with a lot of soul.
Subject: Best damn show
Subject: Aw man, this is excellent
Subject: nice stuff
Until we get an official live release of a Gourds show, this one will tide us over. It sounds that good, and that the band was also having a lot of fun.
Subject: F*ck! What a set!!!
Thank you for your fine work, Mr Soul. Here's the full set, with the fixes you requested...
01. Yoli Found a Opossum
02. Lower 48
03. Take Me Back to Tulsa (Bob Wills/Tommy Duncan)
04. Bean Bowl
05. Blanket Show
06. My Name is John Johanna (trad.)
07. How Great Thou Art (Stuart K. Hine from a poem by Carl Gustav Boberg) > Hallelujah Shine
08. Pine Island Bayou > The Eyes of Texas (John Sinclair) > I've Been Working on the Railroad (trad.) > Pine Island Bayou
09. Gravity Talks (Dan Stuart/Chris Cacavas)
10. Mister Betty
11. Omaha (Billy Joe Shaver/Hillman Hall)
12. Burn the Honeysuckle
13. Ants on the Melon > You Really Got Me tease (Ray Davies)
14. I Like Drinking
15. Waxy's Dargle (trad.)
16. Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother (Ray Wylie Hubbard)
17. Stage Banter: "Sunshine Up Yours"
18. Feelin on Your Booty (R. Kelly)
19. Stage Banter: "Consummation Station"
20. Right in the Head
21. Shamrock Bound
22. Nitty Gritty (Doug Sahm)
23. Flavor on yer Tung > Hang Fire (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards)
24. Stage Banter: "Procol Nolte Harum Syndrome" with Whiter Shade of Pale tease (Gary Brooker/Keith Reid/Matthew Fisher) & Blue Monk tease (Thelonious Monk)
25. Gin and Juice (Calvin Broadus, et al.) > Hate & War (Joe Strummer/Mick Jones) > The Good Ol' Boys (Waylon Jennings) > Super Freak (Rick James/Alonzo Miller) > Surrender (Rick Neilson) > Gin and Juice *
26. Oh Sister (Bob Dylan) **
27. All the Labor **
28. [Soundcheck] Begins with a few Whippoorwill calls and includes teases or partial versions of Old Folks at Home (Stephen Foster), Frosty the Snowman (Jack Rollins/Steve Nelson), Those Were the Days (Lee Adams/Charles Strouse), Aqualung (Ian Anderson/Jennie Anderson), Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads/Bob Daisley), and Sweet Jane (Lou Reed).
*Claude played the melody from Chinese Variety Hour (Claude Bernard/Matt Cook/Travis Garaffa) on his guitar at two different times during this medly & soundman Mark Creaney joined them on acoustic guitar just before Surrender
**Unplugged version. As the band came back for the encore, their soundman told them the PA system had to be turned off. Since they had already put their guitars back on, they decided to continue without power. To be able to hear everything, "the crowd got deathly quiet". On All the Labor, "Jimmy stood out in the front of the stage and belted it out, almost a cappella" (K. Langford, personal communication, October 21, 2009). "The total silence as Jimmy sang was magical...Late night, cold with smoke and ash from the fires drifting over us. We were like gypsies" (K. Russell, personal communication, October 21, 2009).
Note: Tracks 26 and 27 were taken from a separate audience recording.
Want more from this amazing show? Go here: http://thegourdsnews.blogspot.com/2009/10/10-17-09-greer-sc.html
Subject: Keep them coming, thanks!
15 Waxie's Dargle (Pogues)
22 Flavor on yer Tung
Uploaded by mrsoul on